All Saints Chapel’s unparalleled story is woven into each exquisite detail originally designed by Reverend Johannes Adam Simon Oertel.
Erected in 1875 for the Church of the Good Shepherd, the Chapel’s divine journey commenced on Hillsborough Street in Downtown Raleigh. As the congregation flourished, they desired a more expansive sanctuary which led to the chapel’s first move to Morgan Street in the early 1900s.
The Chapel became a haven for community members. However, as the member base continued to blossom, they considered the heart-wrenching decision to demolish the church if it was not purchased before demolition day. Raleigh redeveloper Greg Hatem caught wind of the possible tragedy, and in the 11th hour, intervened to save the Chapel.
On June 18, 2006, the 70-foot-long, 40-foot-wide, 235,000-pound structure began its second journey half a mile east to the edge of historic Oakwood. Hatem and his team held their breath in suspense, praying the historic structure would remain intact en-route...
Read more about the historic move